Preposition Beginning With R, S, T U and V

 

Preposition Beginning With R, S, T U and V

Prepositions beginning with R

One-word prepositions

re = mengenai, perihal, tentang

Re: your letter dated 21 May 

I want to talk you re the proposed meeting.

regarding = mengenai, perihal, tentang, sehubungan dengan

I would like to speak to you regarding my homework. 

Regarding John, let's talk later.

respecting = mengenai, perihal, tentang, berkenaan dengan

I would like to speak to you respecting my homework. 

I am writing to you respecting our latest products.

round = sekeliling, sekitar

I live round the corner. 

They all sat round the fire. 

There is a hedge round the house.


Complex prepositions

regardless of = bagaimanapun, bagaimanapun juga

I don't want it, regardless of the price. Even if it's free, I just don't want it.


Prepositions beginning with S

One-word prepositions

save (formal) = kecuali

All save Mrs Jones were present.

saving (formal) = kecuali

Saving yourself, nobody thanked me.

since (also conjunction) = sejak

I haven't seen Josef since Monday. 

Mr Brown has worked in a bank since 1985.

Complex prepositions 

save for = kecuali untuk

Everyone came, save for Lek who had to work.


Prepositions beginning with T

One-word prepositions

than (also conjunction) = daripada (perbandingan)

He is a writer than whom there is no finer. 

Your car is bigger than my car.

through (also thru - American English) = melalui, lewat, sampai, 

The train goes through a tunnel. 

I can see light through the keyhole. 

You have been through a difficult experience. 

You went thru a red light. 

The error occurred through my own stupidity. 

They worked Monday through Thursday. (American English)

throughout = diseluruh, sepanjang

It is raining throughout the whole country. 

He worked throughout the day, and most of the night.

till (also conjunction) = sampai

I work from 9am till 5pm. 

Please wait till I come.

to = untuk, ke, sampai, hingga

Could you give this to Kob? 

My car does 10 miles to the litre. 

To his surprise, the door was open. 

The museum is open from Monday to Friday. 

The time is ten to five. [4.50] 

touching = mengenai

Touching your homework, I think we need to speak. 

towards (mainly British English), toward (mainly American English) = terhadap, menuju, ke arah, pada

He drove off toward(s) the mountain. 

I'd better go. It's getting toward(s) midnight. 

He contributed $100,000 toward(s) the new building. 

It's the first step toward(s) peace. 

He has a positive attitude toward(s) his work.


Complex prepositions

thanks to = berkat

Thanks to Shirley, we arrived on time.

together with = bersama dengan

I'd like chicken please, together with vegetables.


Prepositions beginning with U

One-word prepositions

under = dibawah, dalam

The mouse ran under the chair. 

The bucket is under the sink. 

Submarines can travel under water. 

We drove under a bridge. 

I have a T-shirt under my pullover. 

Who do you work under? Who is your boss? 

I am under orders from the President. 

What is the subject under discussion? 

Under the company rules, we can't do that. 

Please buy it if it's under $50.

underneath = dibawah

The nurse put a pillow underneath his head. 

There is a big cellar underneath our house.

unlike = berbeda dari, tidak mirip

That's very unusual. It's unlike Andrea to be so rude. 

This problem is unlike any we have met before. 

until (formal; also conjunction) = sampai

They continued the meeting until 11pm. 

Please wait until I come.

up = naik, keatas, diatas

Jack and Jill ran up the hill. 

There is a post office up the street.

upon (formal) = atas, di atas, di

Please don't put your shoes upon the table. 

There are now no dinosaurs upon Earth. 

I need a book upon bio-chemistry. 

We met upon a Monday. 

He broke his leg upon getting out of the car.


Complex prepositions

up against = melawan

We are up against a powerful enemy.

up to = hingga, sampai

There was a shop here up to 1990. But it closed that year. 

up until = sampai

We worked up until they came. Then we stopped.


Prepositions beginning with V

One-word prepositions

versus = melawan, dibandingkan dengan

He was the judge in the case of Gore versus Bush. 

We should choose peace versus war.

via = melalui, via, lewat

We flew from Paris to Bangkok via Dubai.


Complex prepositions

vis-à-vis (from French) = berhadapan

I prefer Jaguar cars vis-à-vis BMW cars. 

I need to speak to you vis-à-vis your homework.

Demikian, Semoga dapat bermanfaat..

Link