Preposition Beginning With R, S, T U and V

 

Preposition Beginning With R, S, T U and V

Prepositions beginning with R

One-word prepositions

re = mengenai, perihal, tentang

• Re: your letter dated 21 May 

• I want to talk you re the proposed meeting.

regarding = mengenai, perihal, tentang, sehubungan dengan

• I would like to speak to you regarding my homework. 

• Regarding John, let's talk later.

respecting = mengenai, perihal, tentang, berkenaan dengan

• I would like to speak to you respecting my homework. 

• I am writing to you respecting our latest products.

round = sekeliling, sekitar

• I live round the corner. 

• They all sat round the fire. 

• There is a hedge round the house.


Complex prepositions

regardless of = bagaimanapun, bagaimanapun juga

• I don't want it, regardless of the price. Even if it's free, I just don't want it.


Prepositions beginning with S

One-word prepositions

save (formal) = kecuali

• All save Mrs Jones were present.

saving (formal) = kecuali

• Saving yourself, nobody thanked me.

since (also conjunction) = sejak

• I haven't seen Josef since Monday. 

• Mr Brown has worked in a bank since 1985.

Complex prepositions 

save for = kecuali untuk

• Everyone came, save for Lek who had to work.


Prepositions beginning with T

One-word prepositions

than (also conjunction) = daripada (perbandingan)

• He is a writer than whom there is no finer. 

• Your car is bigger than my car.

through (also thru - American English) = melalui, lewat, sampai, 

• The train goes through a tunnel. 

• I can see light through the keyhole. 

• You have been through a difficult experience. 

• You went thru a red light. 

• The error occurred through my own stupidity. 

• They worked Monday through Thursday. (American English)

throughout = diseluruh, sepanjang

• It is raining throughout the whole country. 

• He worked throughout the day, and most of the night.

till (also conjunction) = sampai

• I work from 9am till 5pm. 

• Please wait till I come.

to = untuk, ke, sampai, hingga

• Could you give this to Kob? 

• My car does 10 miles to the litre. 

• To his surprise, the door was open. 

• The museum is open from Monday to Friday. 

• The time is ten to five. [4.50] 

touching = mengenai

• Touching your homework, I think we need to speak. 

towards (mainly British English), toward (mainly American English) = terhadap, menuju, ke arah, pada

• He drove off toward(s) the mountain. 

• I'd better go. It's getting toward(s) midnight. 

• He contributed $100,000 toward(s) the new building. 

• It's the first step toward(s) peace. 

• He has a positive attitude toward(s) his work.


Complex prepositions

thanks to = berkat

• Thanks to Shirley, we arrived on time.

together with = bersama dengan

• I'd like chicken please, together with vegetables.


Prepositions beginning with U

One-word prepositions

under = dibawah, dalam

• The mouse ran under the chair. 

• The bucket is under the sink. 

• Submarines can travel under water. 

• We drove under a bridge. 

• I have a T-shirt under my pullover. 

• Who do you work under? Who is your boss? 

• I am under orders from the President. 

• What is the subject under discussion? 

• Under the company rules, we can't do that. 

• Please buy it if it's under $50.

underneath = dibawah

• The nurse put a pillow underneath his head. 

• There is a big cellar underneath our house.

unlike = berbeda dari, tidak mirip

• That's very unusual. It's unlike Andrea to be so rude. 

• This problem is unlike any we have met before. 

until (formal; also conjunction) = sampai

• They continued the meeting until 11pm. 

• Please wait until I come.

up = naik, keatas, diatas

• Jack and Jill ran up the hill. 

• There is a post office up the street.

upon (formal) = atas, di atas, di

• Please don't put your shoes upon the table. 

• There are now no dinosaurs upon Earth. 

• I need a book upon bio-chemistry. 

• We met upon a Monday. 

• He broke his leg upon getting out of the car.


Complex prepositions

up against = melawan

• We are up against a powerful enemy.

up to = hingga, sampai

• There was a shop here up to 1990. But it closed that year. 

up until = sampai

• We worked up until they came. Then we stopped.


Prepositions beginning with V

One-word prepositions

versus = melawan, dibandingkan dengan

• He was the judge in the case of Gore versus Bush. 

• We should choose peace versus war.

via = melalui, via, lewat

• We flew from Paris to Bangkok via Dubai.


Complex prepositions

vis-à-vis (from French) = berhadapan

• I prefer Jaguar cars vis-à-vis BMW cars. 

• I need to speak to you vis-à-vis your homework.

Demikian, Semoga dapat bermanfaat..

Link